Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chapel A Day-Day 13 (Hey, Will Somebody Get the Lights?)

"Here, let me turn on some light for you!" she said as we walked into the dark but lovely St.Mary's Episcopal Church. The historic church sits in the heart of downtown Milton, Florida. It's a small, quaint all-American city that makes you think of baseball, apple pie and Mayberry. 

"No, really, this is fine!" I replied, wanting to sit quietly in the empty church with only the muted sunlight streaming through the stained glass windows. I had tried to visit it once before, but because it was late in the day, the building was locked, and I found myself in the courtyard instead. (See Day 3 here: Day 3: Now, Why Am I Here?)



As I did on that first trip, I gave thought to how many people shared space on these very pews over the past 100+ years. I thought about all of the baptisms, weddings, and funerals that had taken place here.  





I took in the exquisite stained-glass windows. It was a sunny day and I took note of the way the sunlight made the colors even more brilliant. And, then, because no bolt of inspiration had zapped me yet, I took out my Bible and began to read the passages I'd laid out for the day. I am making my way through the Book of Psalms. Today, I was up to Chapter 36... and looky here. 

Verse 6: "For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light, we see light."

Now, what was it the lady who let me into the church said? Oh, yes. 

"Here, let me turn on some light for you."

Then, just like every other visit to every other chapel during this Lenten season, the "light" bulb went off and I knew why I was here at this chapel on this particular.. sunny... day. 

Like many of you, I'm sure, I try to always look for the positive side of the day, the situation, the people I encounter, situations that come about. Like many of you, I'm sure, the darkness of certain situations often seems to snuff out the light. The darkness of illness, uncertainty, change... loss... can be overwhelming.

My studies during the season of Lent the past few years have taught me that even though the dark times of life are strong and painful, those dark times are never stronger than the Light. Like many of you, I'm sure, there are times when I don't have enough energy to produce my own light. What I learned in today's Chapel-A-Day time, is that  Psalm 36:9 tells me that we don't have to. 



Psalm 36:9 might be worded another way--



 "Here, let ME turn on some light for you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment