Friday, March 8, 2013

Chapel A Day- Day 15 (Past Imperfect)

Photo:
©Drexel Gilbert Enterprises, Inc.
It was the perfect place to enjoy a recital of chamber music. 

Old Christ Church has been standing guard at this corner in Pensacola, Florida since 1832. It oozes history. Coupled with the 1800's-era music being played by University of West Florida students on the harpsichord, viola and cello, the atmosphere seemingly transported me back to a time when music, worship services, and life were seemingly more simple and pure.

About the third song in, the musicians were joined by a soprano soloist. Her voice was beautiful. She was perfect. Until... her voice cracked on a high note. Could have been the strain of the note.. could have been the pollen in the air... could have just been a fluke. The musicians continued to play. She stepped back, cleared her throat, stepped forward and continued on to a perfect finish. 

Today's chapel moment causes me to reflect on the word "perfect."

A few days ago, after writing and publishing a blog entry, I began to question the verb tense in one of my sentences. I called upon a couple of grammar gurus for help, including  the English Comp instructor I was lucky to have during my recent return to college. My grammar was correct, she assured me. I was using "past-perfect tense."

I laughed when I read that.. irreverently thinking, "Well my verb tense may be past-perfect, but when it comes to my life, it's more past-IMperfect!"

That's part of why I am trying to visit a chapel a day during the 40 days of Lent. It's not because I am "good" or "holy" or...Heaven forbid... "perfect." I am trying to iron out the imperfect wrinkles of my life and become better at what I do, who I am and who He wants me to be. 

Photo:
©Drexel Gilbert Enterprises, Inc.
Is it working? I don't know, yet. I do know that these hours of reflective time have caused me to cross paths with people, stories, music, scriptures, history and ideas that I might not have encountered otherwise. These hours have also shown me the importance of following the example of the soloist in the recital: 

Don't let an imperfect moment keep you from enjoying a perfect finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment